Group Solutions is hiring! We are looking for a Disability Claim Manager to join our team.
If you have an analytical mind, natural curiosity and excellent negotiation, consultative and communication skills, this could be for you.
As a Disability Claim Manager you'll apply disability management best practices to effectively manage the information gathering, assessment, payment, expenses and risk associated with weekly indemnity and long-term disability claims within approved authority limits.
You will be working closely with the disability management team and reinsurance partners to find creative solutions to meet our customer’s needs by focusing on a timely, sustainable and safe return to work; ensuring appropriate cost/benefit analysis relative to reserves held.
This job supports the Division’s customer service delivery promise through prompt decision making and pro-active customer communication and service by providing education, support and ongoing relationship management to customers and producers.
- As a Disability Claim Manager, you'll need to:
- Investigate, evaluate and determine eligibility for initial and ongoing payment claims based on medical information, job requirements, non-medical factors, contract terms and department/industry protocols within established service standards
- Manage active claims duration by utilizing best practices
- Interview claimants and employers through telephone interviews
- Ensure accurate and timely documentation of all communication with customers
- Formulate and implement a detailed case management plan on each file with a focus on a timely, sustainable and safe return to work; interact with and appropriately challenge treating physicians and employers; make referrals for independent medical assessments and to alternate insurance organizations (federal, provincial and private insurers)
- Collaborate with in-house return to work facilitators to design and monitor return to work programs
- Collaborate with team members to exchange ideas, gather information and offer solutions on claims
- Based on department standards, ensure proactive communication with our customers regarding claim status and developments
- Accountable for positive file resolution and appropriate outcomes
- You'll typically work Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week, with some extra hours at busy times.
What to expect
- The work is mainly office based
- You'll need to feel comfortable making decisions, delivering difficult news to customers and providing supportive analysis
- You’ll need excellent time management skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively
- You’ll need proven ability to be a dedicated team player who demonstrates initiative and independence.
Our ideal candidate will bring the following with them:
- 3+ years work experience in disability claim management
- Knowledge of medical terminology and Disability Management best practices/protocols
- Knowledge of relevant provincial employment legislation and legal requirements
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, internet and database software
- Bilingual (English/French) is required
- LOMA 280, 290, HIAA, CEBS - GBA are assets
- Completion of a university degree in anatomy, biology, kinesiology, life sciences or psychology
Training and Progression
- As a Disability Claim Manager, on the job training will be supported by the Manager, Life and Disability Claim Management. Thereafter, training will continue under the supervision of the Manager, Life and Disability Claim Management and supported by the Senior Claim Managers and other members of the disability team.
- We financially support and encourage working towards the Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) designation or other industry related certifications.
- This is a position with room for growth for the right individual. Critical factors for success in this role will depend on the candidate’s commitment to a high level of pro-active claim management, accountability, communication skills, business acumen and pride in ones work.
Located in historic downtown Kingston and just steps from unique shops, acclaimed restaurants and beautiful Lake Ontario, our head office is a great place to work, learn and grow. Whether you live in town or prefer country life, the office is a short commute, and a quick drive or train ride away from Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa and the U.S. As one of the largest private employers in Kingston, we offer a wide range of roles and experiences, various learning and development opportunities, and many ways to get involved in the community. If you’re planning to kick off your career, take it to the next level, or looking for an opportunity to make your mark while connecting with your coworkers and community, you’ll find your home at Empire Life in Kingston.